Home » Family of three escape house fire in Henrico

Family of three escape house fire in Henrico

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — A house fire has bee ruled an accident, after Fire officials put out the fire in the 4900 block of Wythe Ave. in Henrico County’s North Side around 11:25 Tuesday night.

Fire officials said units were on scene in six minutes and reported smoke coming from the two story house. Inside units found a small fire in the second story bedroom. The fire was marked under control shortly after.

Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment
Missing Attachment

There were no injuries reported due to the fire.

One adult and two children were downstairs at the time of the fire and was alerted to it by a smoke alarm. They were all able to exit the home and call the fire department.

The cause of the fire has been determined to have been accidental in nature and caused by a burning candle. Officials said the burning candle dripped down and caught a nearby basket of clothes on fire.

The American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.

Fire officials gave these tips when using open flame candles:

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Light candles carefully, keeping any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Put the candle out before it burns too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.